You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.


Deuteronomy 6:5-9

Lena's (first) mission trip to
Haiti turned into our
Adoption Adventure!
Can't wait to see what God has in store next.....
*********************************************************

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Holy Discontent

I just finished reading "Holy Discontent" by Bill Hybels. It was suggested to me by my friend and fellow Haiti missionary, Kellie. (Thanks, Kellie!!)


We were having a conversation about our trip to Haiti and some of the things that we saw. Primarily the poverty and the suffering. I'm so grateful to have read this book-because it gave me language to describe what was happening to me. I'm so grateful that other Christians have gone before me-to shine the light on things that I encounter. It makes me feel so blessed and....understood. When I read something and can say "YES! That is it, exactly what I'm experiencing" it makes me feel good....loved....understood. It's so helpful!


If you have not read this book, I encourage you to pick it up-and answer the question: What can't I stand? And then, What am I going to do about it?


It has given me a lot to think about and re-energized my excitement, passion, enthusiasm. Now, to channel all of that-as the saying goes to "use the force for good". I simply can't stand the suffering I witnessed. Cannot stand it. Cannot stand for it.



And I'm on to the next book-that my friend Cara was reading while we were in Haiti-called Angels of a Lower Flight by Susie Scott Krabacher. I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me thru my blog. I love hearing from you.

Thanks again!

Lena