You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.


Deuteronomy 6:5-9

Lena's (first) mission trip to
Haiti turned into our
Adoption Adventure!
Can't wait to see what God has in store next.....
*********************************************************

Sunday, December 7, 2008

aaaarrrgh!

This week, it seems as if everyone I've spoken to is under the impression that when I go to Haiti this week I will be bringing the boys back with me. When I correct that assumption and tell them it's a visit......they ask when I expect to bring them home....and then I have to tell them a bit about the Haitian adoption process and timelines, which really mean nothing, anyway. And then, they launch into the whole 'why does it take so long?' and 'don't they want to get these kids home?' and 'if you're willing to take them, why don't they just give them to you?' and other variations of the same question.

It's been pretty frustrating to have the same conversation over and over-when of course, I have asked those same questions, in our own process and that of other families.

I've come to a sort of peace and acceptance about this process-it will be what it will be. Or at least I think I have. God's timing, not mine, and all of that. Yet when people are constantly questioning and they are aggravated by the waiting-it makes it hard to stay focused.

Have any of you dealt with this? How have you handled it or responded? I don't want to let my frustration get the best of me. I understand that people who aren't going through this don't really get it, and I want to be gracious and teach/be helpful, but geez! I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone out there in adoption land has!!

And for a little point of reference/history, I give you three very well written posts.....they explain a lot about this and they do it better than I could.

These two are from a family of missionaries living in Haiti.

This is Haiti

Show Business


From a family waiting in the adoption proces.


And so, there you have it.

Life is not fair.

Things do not always go the way we think they should.

And so, we trust God who is always fair and just, and who sees all to take care of the details.

And we wait and we pray.

4 comments:

  1. I get those same questions all the time!!

    I always say "I have about a year left." I've been saying that for a full year. I'll continue to say that until I have passports.

    Why does it take so long? "Because no one cares." It really, really seems that way. Otherwise why would my file have been sitting in parquet for over six months just to have signatures checked????

    Not trying to be negative, just truthful. Some of the people who responded to my book giveaway have been waiting way longer than I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Hi Lena!

    You are right on ... things are not as they appear here - we hope you'll continue to press in as you wait and wait --- that is the only workable way to cope - with love-
    t.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,

    I like your general answer-that would save me the frustration of having the same conversation over and over-just keep it simple and brief. Good plan!

    I saw your give away, and the dates/entries made me sad.

    I pray for each family and child waiting-and that things would begin to move forward.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement T-I will definitely press in and cling to God as I wait.

    Thank you also for the amazing work that you're doing. I read your blog and pray for your family on a regular basis. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for interacting with me thru my blog. I love hearing from you.

Thanks again!

Lena