You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.


Deuteronomy 6:5-9

Lena's (first) mission trip to
Haiti turned into our
Adoption Adventure!
Can't wait to see what God has in store next.....
*********************************************************

Monday, October 12, 2009

Careless in the care of God


It occurred to me recently that I often post and/or request prayer with problems and needs. I've been working on that-being more thankful and aware of my blessings. I am blessed and I know it. Most of the time, I know it.

My friend Stephanie's post encouraged me and reminded me of my desire to be more thankful and encouraging in my daily life. Her post also served as a reminder for me to continue to do what I can for who I can....helping however, whenever.....because I just never know what small act of kindness, smile, card, word of encouragement may mean to someone.

So, I thought I would share a few praises with you.

1) We both get to travel to Haiti next month to visit with the boys. This is in part due to our scrimping and saving and in part due to a VERY GENEROUS gift from someone in our church family. In fact, we were getting ready to talk (fight) over which one of us was going to get to go, because we only had enough money for one of us to go. And then, the generous gift. Thank you God, for allowing this family to bless our family. Thank you for their faithfulness and obedience in the area of finances that allow them to bless others. Thank you also for the encouragement.

2) We had what I think had to be the world's largest garage sale this past weekend. Seriously, I have never seen so much stuff. It was overwhelming! We had friends make signs, put up signs, loan us tables, donate their stuff, work with us to organize, bring us donuts and coffee, help us find a home for the left overs and so much more. One friend even brought her kiddos and set up a lemonade stand for donations. And of course, some friends shopped. :-) The long days and hard work paid off with almost exactly what we need to pay the remainder of our program fee to the orphanage.

3) Awhile back (actually coming up on a year ago), I was blessed with a part time job opportunity that I can do and work around my practice. It started as a pool (sub) position, and has since morphed into a part time position with benefits. I was not actively seeking a job when this came about, in our current economic downturn, I believe it to be an answer to prayer over our finances and adoption expenses.

4) My husband's business has been up and down, (he's a contractor/remodel guy) and yet we have always had what we needed, when we needed it.

There are other blessings, but you get the idea. God is great. He cares about the details and He is providing for our family.

I am blessed and thankful.


Matthew 6:26-34 (The Message):

25 -26"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.

27 -29"Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.

30 -33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...I'm glad you were encouraged. Now I am encouraged by your encouragement. What a wonderful cycle to be in!

    PRAISE GOD for your financial blessing...woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your post lena :) i'm thrilled for your praises!

    love you guys!!!!!!
    missy~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for interacting with me thru my blog. I love hearing from you.

Thanks again!

Lena